Ordo Templi Orientis, Order of Eastern Templars, is an esoteric, masonic fraternal order. “The O.T.O. is an Outer Thelemic Order which is dedicated to the high purpose of securing the Liberty of the Individual and his or her advancement in Light, Wisdom, Understanding, Knowledge, and Power; through Beauty, Courage, and Wit; on the Foundation of Universal Brotherhood.” It is known primarily for its association with Aleister Crowley who became the OHO (head of the outer order) and redesigned the order extensively in light of his magical and mystical ideas. He “authored” The Book of the Law which he channeled from Aiwass, his “holy guardian angel.” This book became his guiding light in all his serious endeavors. The main ritual of OTO is the Gnostic Mass which is performed all over the world.
Some of my favorite lodges and OTO web pages:
- Thelema Lodge is the oldest operating lodge in the United States but no longer operating as a chartered body of OTO.
- Blazing Star Oasis is now the main operating body in the San Francisco Bay Area. They celebrate the Gnostic Mass first Sunday of every month at the Mission Masonic Hallin San Francisco. Marlene Cornelius is the Master.
- Kali Lodge in New Orleans is no more. It’s a pity because an OTO lodge in one of the greatest cities in the world with the name of Kali Lodge was really perfect, especially with the lodge master it had, the artist who created the New Orleans Voodoo Tarot Deck. Very special place, visited by people from all over the world. They performed a lot of voodoo rituals as well as some Gnostic Masses and initiations. KOM-OM-BO Camp is the current New Orleans body.
- The Invisible Basilica of Sabazius
- Makhashandah Lodge in Germany. The lodge master, Rodney Orpheus, is a musician as well as a writer on the subject of magick, ABRAHADABRA – A Beginner’s Guide to Thelemic Magick, a poet of Haiku, has been initiated into the Santeria/Voudou religion, and he is an ordained Gnostic Priest. He fronts for an industrial band called Cassandra Complex and another band called Sun God, a unique concept. “The music is based on the rhythms and ideas of Voudou magick. The sound of this record is at once totally modern yet derived from ancient African ethnic ideas.” He is also the creator of the Emerald E Mail, an online OTO newsletter.
- Sirius Oasis was located in North Berkeley, they organized the performance of Crowley’s Rites of Eleusis. The Oasis Master, Glenn Turner, owns the occult store in Oakland, Ancient Ways.
Other Thelemic Links
- The AutonoMatrix was a guild of chaos magicians. From the nascent manifesto: “The name AutonomatriX is derived from the words autonomy and matrix to represent a self-directed and self-governing repository of information. The emblem of the AutonomatriX is a circular blade with eight teeth providing a background to the glyph of Eris turned on its side.”
- The Kallisti Catalyst, the document produced by the AX no longer available on the web
- ANON Faction was part of the guild known as the Autonomatrix (see above). “An aim of ANON Faction is to provide administration to working Chaosorcerers (freestyle shamans, irreligious witches, and anarchistic Dark-Artists for example) for the transfer of information and group operations in the Pacific Northwest and elsewhere.”
- Order of Chaos
- Chaos Magic.com
- Chaos Matrix. A really large and rich resource.
- Spiral Nature
- Tzimon Yliaster. This is a copy of his site which unfortunately is white text on a white background. The jpg that served as a background at one time is no longer manifesting.
- Chaoism and Chaos Magick: A Personal View by Pete Carroll
- Liber CCC – Chaos, Carroll and Crowley, my article published in the Kallisti Catalyst of the AX in 1994.
- Island of Salvation Botanica, started by Sally Ann Glassman who was lodge master at the Kali Lodge of the OTO. Now she is exclusively devoted to Voodoo.
- New Orleans Healing Center.
- Sally Ann isn’t the only person with duel interest in OTO and voodoo. Rodney Orpheus has been initiated into the Santeria/Voudou religion, and he is an ordained Gnostic Priest. He has a band called Sun God, a unique concept. “The music is based on the rhythms and ideas of Voudou magick. The sound of this record is at once totally modern yet derived from ancient African ethnic ideas.”
- Church of All Worlds. I hope I never forget the great times I had with these earthy and yet spiritual folks.
- Reclaiming. One of my first contacts with the Pagan community came about through reading Starhawk and subsequently taking some really good courses in magick within the context of the faery tradition of Wicca given by this collective. Another member of the Reclaiming Collective I came into contact with was M Macha NightMare who, like myself, was into Kali.
- The Women’s Spirituality Forum, founded and lead by Z Budapest, used to meet in Oakland every Sunday afternoon for ritual, learning and socializing. Z led a Spiral Dance every year at Halloween. She no longer does this but she is still a force in the world.